MorphyBooks

Thicker Than Blood
Claire C. Riley, Madeline Sheehan

Review: Fates (Fates #1)

Fates  - Lanie Bross

Corinthe is banished from her home for making a mistake. For 10 years she works in hopes of finally being allowed to return home, to Pyralis. Charged with one last assignment, Corinthe must kill Luc, a boy she sees like no other, one who makes her question herself. Can she complete her task or will she choose her own path?

I was sooooo soooo excited when I was approved for Fates through NetGalley. I couldn’t wait to read it, the synopsis drew me in and I just had to read it now, never mind waiting for release day (I know it’s only a few days away but I’m impatient!). I love mythology books, anything to do with fate, prophecies, storytelling and I’m all for it.

I have to say I’m disappointed. Fates was so different than I expected it to be. Is that a bad thing though? Do you want books to turn out as you imagine they will or do you like it when they prove you wrong and are full of surprises? I was partly upset it didn’t happen how I imagined but secretly glad at the same time, mixed feelings anyone?

I loved all the different world accessed through the crossroads, they were so different and played a big part in the story, the imagination in them all and the fear brought on through being in them was fun to read.

Poor Corinthe, a fate banished from her home, forced to live in Humana amongst humans who she has no connection with, is in constant pain from lack of energy and has no contact besides Miranda! her guide. Corinthe never questions her tasks, she gets the job done without batting an eyelash. Until her final one of course, she finally pauses and asks questions! If let for her but she just annoyed me at times, I was like “everyone makes their own choices! Even you can, so choose! DUHHH” obviously it worked ;)

Lucas was a good character. He’s protective, always looking out for his little sister Jasmine, even Corinthe after she tries to kill him. He’s just not a hateful person, he’s understanding, strong minded and a great match for Corinthe.

Though there was little sparks of romance there just wasn’t enough for me, and the ending? OMG the ending brought a tear or two to my eye, how heartbreaking. I can’t say more although I really want to or I’ll spoil it. If you want to know what happens you’ll just have to read it ;D

**A copy was provided for review purposes**

Source: http://morphybooksblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/06/review-fates