MorphyBooks

Morphys' Book Blog

Thicker Than Blood
Claire C. Riley, Madeline Sheehan

Review: Hedge Witch (Cloven Land Trilogy #1)

Hedge Witch: The Cloven Land Trilogy, Book 1 - Simon Kewin

Cait Weerd goes from being a normal teenager to a witch in the matter of a few days. A great task has been given to her. Destroy a book that can create monsters with unimaginable power. Along with Danny, her boyfriend-but-not she sets out to rid the world of evil, along with finding out who she really is.

Hedge Witch was a lot like I expected it to be but not too. Does that even make sense? After reading the synopsis I knew I’d enjoy reading it but it took me until 40ish percent before I could get into it. The first 40% wasn’t much fun to read for me, it was slow and boring some but once the ball got rolling I couldn’t put it down. Weird huh?

I love love witch books, whenever I can get my hands on them I mostly enjoy them lots, and there’s definitely a few witches in this one plus more creatures and other worlds, I loved the plot, how it all fit together and the characters were great too. I felt I could connect with them all. I didn’t much like Hellen though, she just didn’t sit well with me for some reason.

Cait was great, I really enjoyed reading about her journey, how she found herself, pushed herself past her fears and her bravery and strength. Plus the blue hair! You go girl… Such a hard task at a young age and she took it on with both hands and really went for it. An admirable character.

Her mum and gran were awesome too, both witches, her gran not so powerful but still determined to help out as much as she can. Her mum is more powerful and once she’s back in reality she helps as much as possible and saves the day, literally. Danny was lovely, not many friends would risk their lives on a journey of madness, trying to complete a task that’s probably going to fail and get everyone killed but he takes it all on with a smile. I loved how he stuck by Cait, I didn’t enjoy what happened towards the end though :(. He better be okay!!!!

The only part that really let it down for me was how slow I found the beginning, and there was a few parts throughout that made me want to skip a page or three but I didn’t. I gritted my teeth and carried on and I’m so glad I did. Then there’s the fact a few bits didn’t make sense to me, I admit it’s early hours in the morning so my brain isn’t at full power but I couldn’t connect some dots and it upsets me a lot when that happens

The ending I’m not too happy about. What a way to finish, now I’m dying to get my hands on the sequel, Worm Lord to find out what happens next. I’ll definitely be reading that one! Overall a fun read, fans of witches should give this a go, it’s different and really grips you once it gets into it.

**A copy was provided for review purposes**

Source: http://morphybooksblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/09/blog-tour-hedge-witch