MorphyBooks

Morphys' Book Blog

Thicker Than Blood
Claire C. Riley, Madeline Sheehan

Review: Shadow and Bone (Grisha #1)

Shadow and Bone  - Leigh Bardugo

Alina Starkov is an orphan along with her best friend Mal, they travel to the fold with their regiment when they are attacked. Alina saves Mal’s life when he is injured with a power she didn’t know she had. Alina’s power catches the attention of the Darkling, the leader of the Grisha’s who believes her power is the key to bring an end to the war.

My first book read in 2014!!!! Just thought I’d share that with you all =)

I finished this book almost 24 hours ago and I still can’t decide exactly how I felt about it, I have mixed feelings, that’s for sure. It took me a good few chapters before I got into the story, maybe even halfway through.

Alina Starkov believes she is nothing special, with her average looks she feels she doesn’t fit in with the beautiful Grisha people. She likes to blend in, not be the centre of attention which of course she is. I just couldn’t connect with her at all. Towards the end she finally grew a backbone and I warmed to her slightly but not enough.

The Darkling is a bar stool, I didn’t like him at all. Even though he saved Alina’s life, he done it for his own gain. He’s a selfish, manipulative, lying person. His power is the complete opposite to Alina’s; he’s the darkness to her light.

The story overall was fun, it was definitely different from others I’ve read but it just took too long for me to get into it. It had its ups and downs, I still haven’t decided if I’ll read the second book in the trilogy, I guess only time will tell.

Source: http://morphybooksblog.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/review-shadow-and-bone