MorphyBooks

Morphys' Book Blog

Thicker Than Blood
Claire C. Riley, Madeline Sheehan

Review: Destruction (December People #1)

Destruction: The December People, Book One - Sharon Bayliss

David is a dark wizard but doesn’t know it yet, he has a wife and 3 kids, plus 2 more from an affair. His secret family went missing years ago and he’s finally heard word about them. Not only does he have to tell his wife about the affair, he learns a secret his wife kept from him and his whole life changes. His job is going down the drain, his kids are changing in a big way and it’s a whole lot complicated.

I’m a big animal lover so the cover calls to me, the butterfly is my favourite colour and I love how it’s not just on the cover but at the top of each chapter page too. The writing is well done and I couldn’t find any mistakes to nit-pick at which is rare for me.

Wizards YAY, I love witchy books. Destruction is a lot different from previous ones I’ve read though. The wizards/witches have seasons, that’s new for me but I love how it made perfect sense.

David has a rough life but I think he brought a fair bit on himself. I couldn’t feel sorry for him if i tried. Towards the end there was a tiny bit but it wasn’t there for long. How can one person make a mess of their life so bad. I mean why can’t he just do what needs to be done instead of someone having to do what he couldn’t? I know it’s a bit vague but it’s a big part of the book so I’m not sharing the details HAHA.

Evangeline and Xavier broke my heart. I wanted to get my hands on Colter and strangle the monster with my bare hands. Grrrr… Both kids are sweet, keep to themselves mostly and protect each other, Xavier is quiet and Evangeline is quite loud but they go well together, like yin an yang.

The other Vandergraff kids drove me bonkers. Emmy was a cow at the best of times and Jude was a pig. I can’t think of an animal for Patrick right now but I’m sure one will come to me eventually ;)

The plot was good, it had twists and turns, unexpected events, lots of secrets and betrayal. Magic, by the bucket load and some dark parts too. It flowed together nicely, the only thing that done me in was how little I liked most of the characters. I mean there’s loads of them and I only really liked Evangeline, Xavier, Patrick, Samantha and Rachel. I couldn’t stand Amanda and David, he ticked me off constantly :(.

Oh how I looooveee happily ever afters, even the not so happily ever afters but still turned out better than I imagined it would, this is definitely so here. I enjoyed Destruction, wizards/witches really fascinate me, and reading a good book about them makes my day.

**A copy was provided for review purposes**

Source: http://morphybooksblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/review-destruction